If Italian food is one of your favorites, consider making vegetable lasagna recipes. While lasagna usually has ground beef or ground pork sausage, a meatless dish is also tasty.
Vegetables in Vegetable Lasagna Recipes
When considering which vegetables to use in your vegetable lasagna recipes, think about what is in season and sold at your grocery store. Of course, you will want to consider who you are making the dish for and the types of vegetables they enjoy. Pick two or three as they all go well together in a baked dish. Vegetables to choose from include:
- Yellow Squash
- Portobello mushrooms
Below are two recipes for vegetable lasagna. The first gets its creamy texture from milk and cottage cheese. The next recipe is tomato-based.
Ingredients for Creamy Vegetable Lasagna
- 2 cups of carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup of zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 10 ounces of frozen and thawed spinach
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of cottage cheese
- 3 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Add noodles and cook for 7 to 10 minutes until noodles are al dente.
- Drain noodles and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet.
- Add garlic and onions, then the carrots, mushrooms, and zucchini.
- Saute for five minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk flour and milk together.
- Cook mixture until thick, stirring constantly. Cook to boiling.
- Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, then thawed spinach.
- Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine the ricotta cheese and cottage cheese.
- Place three drained noodles in pan to form a layer.
- Top with the spinach mixture, then add a layer of cheese mixture followed by vegetables and mozzarella cheese.
- Place three more noodles and repeat step 16.
- End with a layer of noodles. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is brown.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and remove pan from oven.
- Let cool ten minutes before serving.
Ingredients for Lasagna with Vegetables
- 3 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 3 cups of canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of basil
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 3 cups of shredded carrots
- 3 cups of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 15 ounces of ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 4 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
- Grease 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In a large pot, boil water with salt.
- Add noodles and cook until done. Drain.
- In a skillet, fry garlic and onion.
- Once sauted, add other vegetables, sugar, oregano, and basil.
- Stir and cook over low heat for ten minutes.
- Beat egg into ricotta cheese.
- Lay three noodles in the pan. Cover with vegetable sauce.
- Top that layer with the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Add 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat steps 8, 9, and 10.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Let cool for ten minutes before serving.
What Else to Serve
Serve the lasagna dishes with garlic bread and a vegetable salad of lettuce, olives, and cucumbers drenched in your homemade dressing. Enjoy!