- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 box of vanilla Wafers
- 4-5 ripe bananas
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In 9x9-inch baking pan, line with a layer of vanilla wafers.
- Remove bananas from peels and cut into slices.
- Cover and refrigerate banana slices while preparing pudding mixture.
- Mix sugar, flour and salt in large bowl. Stir well and set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, beat egg yolks well.
- Over medium heat, combine flour mixture with egg yolks, alternately with the milk and vanilla extract, stirring constantly.
- Bring mixture to boil. Once mixture thickens, add butter or margarine, continuing to stir to prevent burning. Once it reaches pudding consistency, remove from heat and cool.
- Place a layer of banana slices in baking pan on top of vanilla wafers.
- Pour half of the pudding over the wafers and banana. Place another layer of vanilla wafers and another layer of bananas, and cover with the remaining pudding.
- To make meringue, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they reach soft peaks. Slowly add sugar, cream of tartar, and beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold vanilla extract into the meringue and spread meringue over the pudding.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
© 2022 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.