Ingredients for Stuffed Cabbage for Crock Pot Recipe
- 12 large cabbage leaves
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 (14-ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- In a large pot, bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add the cabbage leaves. Boil for 30 seconds to soften. Remove and plunge into cold water to stop the cooking.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef and ground pork, rice, onion, thyme, garlic powder, egg, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Mix thoroughly without overworking.
- Fill each of the cabbage leaves with the ground beef mixture and roll the cabbage, tucking in the ends. Place seam-side down in a large slow cooker.
- In a bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the cabbage rolls. Cover and cook on low for eight hours.
Serves 6 (2 rolls each)
Serve with steamed vegetables or a salad and mashed potatoes. Spoon the tomato sauce over the cabbage rolls when you serve them.