Ingredients for Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
- 5 large baking potatoes, washed
- 10 slices bacon
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream, plus extra for topping
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- About 5 teaspoons sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pierce the skin of each potato several times with a knife, and bake on a tray for about 60 minutes or until soft when pieced with a knife. Remove the potatoes from the oven and allow to cool partially while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a heavy stock pot over medium-high heat, fry the bacon until it's crisp. Remove the strips from the pot and let them drain on a plate covered with a paper towel. Crumble the strips later once they're cool enough to handle and reserve a few spoonfuls for topping.
- Stir the garlic into the bacon fat and cook for 1 minute. Add the flour to the bacon fat mix and stir with a wooden spoon until completely combined but not browned.
- Add the chicken broth to the flour mix and stir until combined. Then add the milk and bring to a low boil, stirring often.
- Turn the heat down to low and stir in the sour cream, cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Peel the potatoes, place them in a large bowl, and mash them before adding them to the soup mix. Stir well to combine and then stir in the bacon (except what is reserved for topping).
- Top each serving with a little extra cheese, a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkling of green onions, and bacon.
This recipe serves four to six, depending on serving size.
© 2021 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.