Ingredients for Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 4 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large glass measuring cup or bowl, microwave the chicken stock until it is hot, about 4 minutes.
- Add the dried porcini mushrooms, stirring to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and allow the porcini mushrooms to soak for 4 hours.
- Remove the reconstituted mushrooms from the stock and roughly chop them. Set the stock aside.
- In a large pot, heat the butter and olive oil on medium-high until it shimmers.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the porcini, cremini, and shiitake mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir once and allow the mushrooms to sit in contact with the pan without stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, until browned on one side. Stir once or twice and allow to sit for another 3 to 4 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have lost their liquid, about 10 minutes more.
- Remove about a cup of the mushrooms from the pot and set them aside.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the sherry and use the side of the spoon to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Allow the sherry to evaporate.
- Add the reserved chicken stock and bring the pot to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the soup in a blender (or use an immersion blender). Fold a towel and put it on top of the blender, placing your hand on top of the towel for safety. Blend the soup until smooth, pausing and opening the top slightly to allow steam to escape every 5 to 10 seconds.
- Return the pureed soup to the pan. Stir in the heavy cream. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Stir in the reserved mushrooms.
© 2021 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.