Serves 6 (2 cups each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 (2-ounce) can chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes and peppers, such as Ro-Tel, undrained
- 8 cups no salt chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into quarter-inch strips
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 chopped avocado
- Lime wedges
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium-high until it shimmers. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, five minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and garlic to the slow cooker, along with the chicken breast, chilies, black beans, tomatoes and peppers, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, coriander, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low for eight hours.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Serve on top of the soup with any of the additional garnishes.
Without garnish per 2 cup serving (from MyFitnessPal):
- Calories: 428
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 294mg
- Carbs: 62g
- Fiber: 16g
- Protein: 28g
With garnish per 2 cup serving:
- Calories: 513
- Total Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- Sodium: 366mg
- Carbs: 64g
- Fiber: 16g
- Protein: 31g
© 2021 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.