- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 thick-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts or thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups sweet corn, fresh or canned (if canned, drained)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil until it shimmers.
- Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is browned, about five minutes.
- Remove the bacon from the fat with a slotted spoon and set it aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In the hot oil in the pot, cook the chicken pieces until they are browned on all sides, about five minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the fat with tongs and set it aside on the platter with the bacon.
- In the oil that remains, cook the onions, carrot, and fennel, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, five to six minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until it is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute.
- Add the corn, chicken broth, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Use the side of the spoon to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the temperature to low. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Return the chicken and bacon to the pot. Stir in the heavy cream. Simmer for one minute and serve hot.
Makes eight servings.
© 2022 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.