A shrimp fried rice recipe can serve as a main dish or as a side, depending on how hearty you wish to make this tasty treat.
Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe Using Large Shrimp
Chinese restaurants serve this shrimp fried rice teeming with shrimp, making it a favorite among many seafood lovers. Now, you can make shrimp fried rice at home. The basic ingredients, besides shrimp and rice, are onions and eggs.
- 1 1/2 cups of uncooked white rice
- 3 cups of water
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped carrots
- 2 cups of cooked large shrimp, peeled and with tails removed
- 1/4 cup of chopped green onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of sesame oil
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Add rice and stir.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow rice to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet or wok for 2 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable oil, bean sprouts, onions, and carrots.
- Mix well and cook for 4 minutes.
- Mix in cooled rice and shrimp and cook for another 3 minutes. Stirring constantly.
- Pour in green onions, eggs, salt, pepper, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- Cook for another 4 minutes, stirring continuously, until eggs are cooked and everything is blended well.
Serve this shrimp fried rice recipe with a bowl of hot wonton soup, hot and spicy soup, or egg drop soup. Try a coconut soup or a pork, rice, and curry soup.
Thanks to the large amount of shrimp used, this recipe will serve 4 as a main dish.
Ingredients for Lighter Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe
• 1 cup of uncooked small shrimp, deveined
• 1 chopped medium onion
• 2 chopped green onions
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup of green peas
• 4 cups of cooked rice (cook it using this steamed rice recipe)
• 4 to 5 tablespoons of sesame oil
• 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- With a pair of chopsticks, beat the eggs lightly in a bowl.
- Add a salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the wok and add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- When the oil is hot, pour 1/2 of the egg mixture into the wok.
- Cook over medium heat, turning over once.
- Cook the other half the same way.
- Cut the egg into thin strips and put aside. These will be used later.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the wok.
- When hot, stir-fry the onion and shrimp on high heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add the green onions and green peas and heat for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Remove and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium and stir-fry the rice.
- Add soy sauce.
- Add the other ingredients except the egg.
- Serve the rice with the strips of egg on top.
- Garnish with extra green onions, if desired.
- Serves 4.
This dish can be prepared as a side dish and served with chicken or pork. Find a favorite Chinese recipe for sesame chicken and let it be the main part of your meal. Also, keep this fried rice recipe handy for when you have leftover rice that you want to use. It is easy to add already cooked rice so you do not have to allow for the time it takes to prepare steamed rice.