Ingredients for Catfish Nugget Recipe
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana hot sauce
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds of catfish, skin and bones removed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Oil (if frying)
- Preheat a deep fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit or preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, baking powder, mustard, and hot sauce.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, smoked paprika, sea salt, Old Bay seasoning, and black pepper.
- In a third bowl, put the flour.
- Dip the catfish into the flour and tap off any excess. Then, dip it into the buttermilk mixture and then into the cornmeal mixture, tapping off excess coating.
- Place each piece on the wire rack until all pieces are coated.
- Deep fry the catfish in the hot oil until it is golden brown and floats, about four minutes. Drain on paper towels. Alternatively, arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven until the coating is golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
Variations and Serving Suggestions
You can also vary the recipe.
- You can shallow fry by heating one inch of oil in a pan and cook on high about 3 minutes per side.
- For a spicier catfish, add a pinch of cayenne (or up to 1/4 teaspoon) to the cornmeal mixture.
- Serve with French fries and a veggie, or with mashed potatoes and a salad.
- Serve with homemade tartar sauce on the side.
- For a less spicy catfish, omit the Louisiana hot sauce and reduce the smoked paprika to 1 tablespoon.
© 2021 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.