Every cook needs a good scalloped potatoes recipe because this dish goes with so many meat dinners. You can serve this potato-casserole-style dish with poultry, lamb, ham, and beef.
Scalloped potatoes get their name because of the way the raw potatoes are sliced before baking. Using a knife, the potatoes are cut to look thick and round with rimmed edges, just like the shellfish known as scallop. Scalloped potatoes are baked in a casserole dish with cheese, milk, butter, onion, seasonings, and flour.
Delicious Scalloped Potatoes Recipe With Cheese
While a scalloped potatoes recipe can be made without cheese, why would you want to omit this enhancing addition? Cheese is such a nice ingredient to the tasty and creamy dish.
- 4 cups of sliced raw potatoes
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped onion
- 8 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cups of milk
- Place half the potatoes in a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half the salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, flour, onion, and cheese.
- Dot with bits of butter and repeat the above layer.
- Add milk to cover the potatoes.
- Seal with foil or a lid and bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender.
- Take the lid off near the end of cooking to brown or put under the broiler for three to four minutes.
- Serves 4 to 6.
Variations: Recipe for Scalloped Potatoes with Ham
- 6 to 8 cups of peeled and sliced potatoes
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup of chopped celery
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups of diced, cooked ham
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat.
- Add celery, green onions, carrots, and ham.
- Sauté, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender.
- Add flour, stirring until well blended.
- Gradually add 1 1/4 cups milk, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly.
- Add 1 cup of cheese.
- Cook until cheese is melted.
- Add more milk to thin the mixture if it appears thick.
- In a 2-quart casserole, place a layer of the potatoes, a layer of sauce, then repeat the layers.
- Bake at 325 degrees F. for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake for 10 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
In lieu of ham, other ingredients may be added to the scalloped potatoes recipe. Using the above recipe, omit the ham and add one of the following:
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked bacon in bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups of diced turkey
What about a chicken flavor? A can of cream of chicken soup offers a nice variation to this vegetable dish. Mix the soup with the milk and pour over the potatoes.
To either of the above recipes, minced garlic can also be used to add flavor. Simply mince three garlic cloves and add to the other ingredients. For color, you can sprinkle the top of the dish with a dash or two of paprika.
If cheddar cheese is not your favorite, replace it with parmesan, provolone, or romano. Try a combination of three or more cheeses. Just make sure that whichever cheese you choose to use is a variety that melts well.Enjoy this nutritious and delicious dish. Serve it as a main meal or as a side with your meat recipes. Children especially enjoy scalloped potatoes.