Ingredients for Brown Butter Cream Sauce Recipe
- 1 cube (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, heated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter on medium, swirling the pan occasionally.
- When the butter starts to turn brown, reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for two minutes.
- Slowly add the hot milk in a thin stream, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens and starts to simmer, two to three minutes.
- Whisk in the heavy cream, salt, and pepper.
While the nuttiness of the butter makes this sauce interesting on its own, you can add other flavors, as well.
- Whisk in 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder as the sauce simmers, stirring until the cheese melts.
- Replace the hot milk with hot mushroom broth (you can make this by soaking 2 ounces of dried porcini mushrooms in hot no-salt chicken broth for two hours and straining out the mushrooms). Add 1 teaspoon of chopped, fresh thyme when you add the salt and pepper.
- Replace the heavy cream with sour cream. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of paprika when you add the salt and pepper.
Yields 3 cups, or about six 1/2 cup servings.
You can use this cream sauce in a number of ways:
- Serve as a sauce for roasted chicken breasts.
- Use 1 cup of the mushroom variation as the filling in a pot pie.
- Add shrimp sauteed in garlic to the first variation and serve it over pasta.
- Use it as a gravy for chicken-fried steak and mashed potatoes.
- Use it as a base for chipped beef on toast.
- Use half a recipe as a cream sauce with 3 cups of cooked pearl onions to make creamed onions.
- Use the sour cream variation with sauteed mushrooms and cooked beef tips to make stroganoff. Serve over egg noodles and top with 2 tablespoons of chopped, fresh parsley.
A Versatile Sauce
Browning the butter in cream sauce adds a slight nutty flavor that separates it from a traditional cream sauce. Use it as you would any other béchamel or cream sauce for a flavorful twist on a traditional French mother sauce.