Ingredients for Philly Cheese Steak Recipe
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 green pepper, seeds, stem and ribs removed and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef, cut into strips
- 4 thin slices Provolone cheese
- 2 hoagie style rolls
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-low heat until hot.
- Add the onions and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the onions from the pan and set aside.
- Turn the heat to medium-high. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the green peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until peppers are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the roast beef to the pan and cook until it warms through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Return the onions to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until everything is just heated through.
- Split the onions, peppers, and meat into two piles and top each with slices of Provolone cheese. Allow to rest on the griddle until the cheese melts, about 1 minute more.
- Spoon the filling into the rolls and serve immediately.
You can vary the sandwich in several ways.
- Try making it on a baguette by cutting off the top of the baguette and hollowing it slightly. Then, cut into individual servings.
- Make it in a tortilla or wrap instead for easier eating.
- For a lower carb version, consider tossing the meat and cheese on a bed of lettuce for a Philly cheese steak salad.
- Use the peppers, onions, and meats as a pizza topping and top with Provolone cheese.
© 2006-2021 LoveToKnow, Corp., except where otherwise noted. All Rights Reserved.