Ingredients for Spinach Peach Salad
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
For the Salad
- 4 large, washed, ripe but not mushy peaches
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 to 6 packed cups stemmed, rinsed and dried baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- 4 to 6 slices prosciutto or good-quality shaved ham
For the Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup good-quality walnut oil
- Prepare the peaches: While not necessary, if desired, blanch and peel the peaches before cutting them into slices. Toss peaches in lemon juice so they don't darken and set aside.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a blender, place red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar, shallots, salt, pepper, and mustard. Process on high speed until well combined.
- With the blender running, slowly drizzle in the olive and walnut oils until the vinaigrette emulsifies, about 1 minute. Transfer to a dressing bottle or lidded jar and refrigerate until cold.
- Make the salad: Arrange the spinach on a large serving platter or individual plates. Top with sliced peaches, Gorgonzola crumbles and prosciutto or ham.
- Serve: When ready to serve, whisk or shake the vinaigrette until it re-emulsifies. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad or pass it at the table for guests to dress their own salads.