Ingredients for Prune Pie Recipe
- 1 (2 crust) pie pastry
- 1 pound pitted prunes
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- Prepare the pastry and roll out into two 12" rounds. Fit one round into a 9" pie plate.
- Combine the prunes with 2 cups water in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer the prunes about 5 to 10 minutes or until they are soft.
- Drain the prunes and add butter, flour, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, and salt and mix well.
- Let stand for 30 minutes to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spoon the prune filling into the pie crust in the pie plate.
- Top with the second pie crust. Turn the edges under and crimp to seal. Cut small slits in the top crust to vent steam.
- Bake the pie until the crust is golden brown, about 25 to 35 minutes.
- Cool the pie completely and cut into wedges to serve.
Serves 6 to 8
Variations and Tips
- Make a lattice crust for the top crust. Cut the second round of pastry into strips and weave on a sheet of waxed paper. Carefully lift the woven pastry onto the filling, seal the edges, and crimp.
- You can add other fruits to this recipe. Dried cranberries or cherries or fresh raspberries add interest and flavor.
- Sprinkle the top crust with some sugar before baking for a sparkling finish.