Peanut butter cookies are a great comfort food. They are the perfect treat any time you need a little lift in your life.
How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut butter comes in many forms: smooth, chunky, natural, homemade, and factory-made industrial peanut purée. You can use any peanut butter you happen to have on hand. Keep in mind that chunky-style peanut butter will fill your cookies with little peanut bits and those bits add a contrasting texture to your cookies.
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup peanut butter (any variety)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of flour
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter in your mixer using the paddle attachment until it is soft.
- Add the brown and white sugars to the butter and cream until light and fluffy.
- Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg.
- Add peanut butter and egg to the butter/sugar mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Roll the dough into one-inch balls.
- Arrange the dough balls on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray or lined with parchment paper.
- Flatten using a fork, pressing the fork into the top of the dough in a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown.
- Let cool before serving.
If you'd like to try a vegan version, check out this recipe for peanut butter cookies made with tofu.