The Orange Julius is an iconic beverage that has been served in malls and other locations for decades. Almost a dessert in its own right, you can use this recipe or its flavor variations to make one of these frothy smoothie drinks in your own blender and enjoy the distinctive taste Julius beverages are celebrated for.
Orange Julius Recipe
This recipe recreates the flavor of a classic store-bought Julius and yields about two servings. You have the option to choose the type of sweetener you prefer to use.
- 6 ounces (or half of a 12-ounce can) frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 cup vanilla-flavored non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar, 2 stevia packets, or 4 tablespoons of honey
- 1 and 1/2 cups of crushed ice
- Place all the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend on high for three to four minutes until smooth.
- Pour into a tall, chilled glass and enjoy.
The basic Orange Julius is delicious on its own, but there are many other flavors you can try. Consider the following Julius variations:
- Pina colada: Replace orange juice with 1 cup of crushed pineapple, drained. Replace the milk with an equal amount of coconut milk. Omit the vanilla.
- Strawberry: Replace the frozen orange juice concentrate with 1 and 1/2 cups sliced strawberries.
- Strawberry banana: Replace the orange juice concentrate with one banana and 1 cup of sliced strawberries.
- Berry pomegranate: Replace orange juice concentrate with 1 cup of frozen mixed berries and replace 1/4 cup of the milk with 1/4 cup of pomegranate juice.
- Triple berry: Replace the orange juice with 1 cup of frozen mixed berries.
- Orange berry: Use only 3 ounces of frozen orange juice concentrate and add in 1 cup of fresh sliced strawberries.
- Mango pineapple: Replace the frozen orange juice with 1 cup of drained crushed pineapple and 1/2 cup of diced ripe mangos.
Storing Your Julius
It's best to drink all the beverage mix after it's first made because it will lose some of its frothiness after it sits for a while. If you must store any leftovers, store them in a container with a tight lid and keep it in the fridge for up to two days. Shake the container well before serving again.
A Sweet Treat Worth the Effort
The Orange Julius and its variations are a sweet treat your whole family will enjoy. Making your own at home isn't as easy as walking up to a counter and ordering one, but it gives you control over the ingredients and the ability to alter the recipe to suit your tastes perfectly. Mix up a batch the next time your crew wants a tasty mall drink to go with their snacks.