Ingredients for Oatmeal Gruel Recipe
- 1 cup oatmeal or oat groats
- 1 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 cup chopped or ground walnuts
- 1 cup oat bran
- 4 cups milk (cow's milk, vanilla soy milk, almond milk, or other plant-based milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Cook oatmeal (or groats) in 4 cups of boiling water for 5 minutes. You won't see much change in oatmeal consistency at this time.
- Simmer mixture on low heat for 45 minutes. You'll notice the oatmeal has soaked up water and formed a thick, cooked porridge-like consistency.
- Allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Mix oatmeal/groat mixture with flaxseed meal, walnuts, and oat bran. Consistency will be very thick, almost like paste, at this time.
- Add milk in slowly using 1/4-cup increments.
- Adjust the amount of milk you add to reach desired consistency. For a thicker gruel, use 1/4 to 1/2 cup less (3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups of milk total); for a runnier gruel, add 1/4 to 1/2 cups of additional milk (4 1/4 to 4 1/2 cups total).
- If you added too much milk, strain runny gruel if you want to eliminate excess liquid to thicken it up.
- The gruel can be served hot or cold. Heat gruel on your stovetop over low heat (while stirring) for 3 to 4 minutes to serve it hot. Chill gruel in the refrigerator for at least an hour if you want to serve it cold.
- Top with cinnamon, if desired, before serving.
Servings: about 9
Tips and Variations
- Blend gruel mixture in a blender for a creamier consistency before heating or chilling.
- Top gruel with fruit and nuts like pecans and apple slices or additional walnuts with diced fresh pears.
© 2021 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.