Nutmeg snaps are crisp cookies overflowing with holiday spice. For fans of gingersnaps, these cookies are the Christmas version of that classic cookie.
How to Make Nutmeg-Flavored Snaps
These cookies go great with hot chocolate or cocoa, and they're sure to fill you with the joy of the season.
- 1 ¼ cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar (for coating the cookies)
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the brown sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- While the butter and sugar are creaming, mix the flour, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl using a whisk.
- Once the butter is very fluffy, add the flour mixture half a cup at a time until fully incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto your work surface and press into a disk about a half-inch thick.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the 1 cup of sugar into a place plate.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll the dough into 1-inch wide balls.
- Roll each dough ball in the sugar on the plate.
- Place the dough balls on the cookie sheets about 2-inches apart.
- Using the bottom of a water glass, press each dough ball flat, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake the cookies for 10-13 minutes or until the cookies are a light golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets before removing them to a rack to complete the cooling.
- For a more festive look, you can sprinkle the cookies with colored sanding sugar before baking. Red and green sanding sugar is available at most hobby stores as well as cooking supply stores.
A Great Addition to Your Holiday Cookie Tray
Once you try these cookies, you're going to want to share them with everyone. Include them on trays with your other Christmas cookies, and make a gift of them to family and friends.