With Easter time rapidly approaching, everyone's attention will soon turn to all things Easter... the Easter bunny, Easter eggs, and other springtime oriented ideas. Children love to leave cookies for Santa, so why not leave a nice piece of carrot cake for the Easter bunny? The entire family can enjoy the delicious leftovers after the bunny has come and gone!
Moist Carrot Cake Recipe
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 5 large carrots peeled and grated
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 6 ounces unflavored yogurt
- 6 ounces of vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and make sure that you have a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Spray a 9 x 9 cake pan with non stick spray.
- If you do not have non-stick spray you can grease the pan with butter and then lightly dust the pan with flour.
- Place the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice into a bowl and mix it well with a fork or whisk.
- Grate the carrots into a large bowl.
- Toss the carrots with the flour mixture.
- Using your stand mixer beat the butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the yogurt and beat until well incorporated.
- While the mixer is running on low, slowly add the oil until fully incorporated.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the 9 x 9 pan.
- Bake the cake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and then reduce the heat to 325 degrees.
- Bake for another 20 minutes until the cake tests done.
- To test your cake, insert a toothpick into the cake and if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Ice your cake with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- 2 ounces of butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups powder sugar
- Using your stand mixer, beat the cheese and butter until it is smooth.
- Add the vanilla and beat until it is fully incorporated, about one minute.
- Add the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time until all the sugar has been added and then beat until smooth.
- Spread the frosting on your cake once the cake has completely cooled.
- Garnish the cake with walnuts if desired.