Meatloaf is one of America's favorite comfort foods. It's easy to get into the habit of making the same type of meatloaf every time you prepare the dish, but there are actually many different options. Mexican meatloaf, for example, is a great dinner option for summer time or any time you feel like making something with a little kick.
Mexican Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten well
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 cups of the salsa (store-bought or homemade - instructions below)
- 1 cup corn (fresh, frozen, or canned corn that has been drained)
- 2 roasted poblano chile peppers, diced (store-bought or homemade - instructions below)
- Ketchup or additional salsa to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Firmly pack the meat mixture into the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Garnish with ketchup or additional salsa, if desired.
Basic Salsa Recipe
Make the recipe truly homemade by making your own salsa to go in the meatloaf.
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 small lime
- Salt to taste
- Dice the tomatoes.
- Chop the cilantro.
- Dice the red onion.
- Slice the jalapeno pepper (be sure to wear gloves).
- Remove jalapeno pepper seeds and membrane (optional - this reduces the "heat").
- Dice the jalapeno.
- Place all above ingredients in a bowl.
- Squeeze the juice from the lime into the bowl.
- Add salt.
- Mix well.
- Refrigerate at least overnight before using in the recipe or serving.
Roasted Poblano Pepper Recipe
- 2 fresh poblano peppers
- Preheat the broiler on your oven.
- Place whole peppers on the broiler pan rack.
- Broil about two inches from heat source.
- Turn peppers frequently.
- They are ready when skin is blistered and broiled - expect this to take about 5 minutes.
- Place peppers on a plate and allow to cool.
- When they are cool, peel off skin (wear gloves when handling).
- Slice open and remove seeds and membrane.
Enjoy Your New Meatloaf Recipe
Regardless of whether you tackle the tasks of making your own salsa and roasting your own peppers, this new meatloaf recipe is sure to quickly become a new household favorite.