Mexican cinnamon cookies are tender and bursting with flavor. The best part is that they'll fill your house with the delightful scent of cinnamon when you bake them.
Cinnamon-Flavored Mexican Cookies Recipe
- 1 ½ sticks of butter
- ½ cup of sugar
- 3 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of sugar for coating
- Let the butter come to room temperature.
- Once the butter is soft, cream the butter and sugar using your stand mixer.
- Add 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon.
- Continue to beat the mixture.
- Add the egg yolks, mix to combine.
- Add the salt to the mixture.
- Add the flour and beat until combined.
- Turn the dough out onto your work surface and form into a disk about ½-inch thick.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and let rest in your refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Form the dough into ½-inch balls.
- Place the dough balls on the lined cookie sheets.
- Bake until pale golden brown, about 17 minutes.
- Mix together 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1 cup of sugar.
- When the cookies are cool enough to handle, roll each cookie in the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
Tweaking the Recipe
These cookies are delicious just as they are, but here are a few tips you can try to make them even better.
- If you like, you can add freshly ground nutmeg or even a dash of ground clove to the coating mixture to make the cookies even spicier.
- Try adding a dash of cardamom or cocoa powder to the mixture to play with the flavor and, of course, ginger is always welcome during the holidays.
- The longer the dough rests in the refrigerator, the better these cookies turn out, so you might want to make a batch or two and let the dough rest overnight.
They'll Go Fast
These cookies are so delightful that you will likely bake a lot of them because they don't last long once your guests taste them. Bake them just before your guests arrive to infuse your home with a fabulous holiday aroma.