Ground turkey is a great base ingredient for meatballs, and it works well in meatball casseroles because the lower fat content of the turkey causes less liquid to be released into the casserole sauce. Whether you want a veggie packed casserole or an Italian-style keto turkey meatball casserole, there's sure to be a turkey meatball casserole you'll love that will fit your diet.
Turkey Meatball Casserole With Broccoli
Make the meatballs (recipe below) the day before to save prep time. Alternatively, substitute your favorite pre-cooked turkey meatballs from the frozen food section. The final casserole has about six servings.
- 1 batch low-fat turkey meatballs (recipe below)
- 1 head broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 package (12 ounces) wild rice mix
- 1 can (8 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook wild rice according to package instructions.
- Combine turkey meatballs, broccoli, red bell pepper, cream of mushroom soup, and wild rice.
- Pour into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle Swiss and Parmesan cheeses over the top of casserole mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden.
Low-Fat Turkey Meatball Recipe
This recipe will yield approximately 30 meatballs.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup dry breadcrumbs
- Combine ground turkey breast, garlic, onion, parsley, salt, black pepper, oregano, egg, and dry breadcrumbs in a large mixing bowl. Make sure all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Shape ground turkey mixture into meatballs, approximately one-inch in size.
- Grease a large cast iron skillet with non-stick cooking spray or vegetable oil. Working in batches, cook the meatballs over medium-high heat for five to six minutes, or until browned all the way through.
- Incorporate meatballs into the recipe.
Keto Turkey Meatball Casserole
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey Italian sausage
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian herbs
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes with basil
- 2½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Heat the avocado oil in a sauté pan on medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, about five minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the turkey Italian sausage, egg, almond flour, parmesan cheese, Italian herbs, salt, pepper, and cooled onions and garlic.
- Mix well. Form into one-inch meatballs and place in a 9-inch square baking pan in a single layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from the oven and drain any excess liquid from the pan.
- Pour the tomatoes evenly over the top. Top with the cheese.
- Return to the oven and continue to bake for another 20 minutes.
Compliments to the Chef!
Planning tasty, nutritious dinners can sometimes be a challenge. These turkey meatball casseroles are not only delicious, but they are unique and visually appealing -- making it a great choice for casual weeknights or classy dinner parties!