Coffee lovers will love having their favorite drink in dessert form. You can use an ice cream maker, or you can make this recipe without one. Ice cream that is made without an ice cream machine is called a "no churn" recipe.
How to Make Coffee Ice Cream
This recipe is different from others because it has an intense coffee flavor and because it includes crushed chocolate covered coffee beans. The flavor is rich and the ice cream is very smooth and dense.
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup crushed chocolate covered coffee beans
Instructions for No Churn Ice Cream
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine the espresso powder and the milk and mix well.
- Microwave the mixture on high power for 30 seconds or until warm.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk to the espresso mixture and whisk to combine. Set the bowl aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the sweetened condensed milk mixture into the whipped cream, then fold in the coffee beans.
- To freeze without an ice cream maker, spoon the mixture into a freezer container. Cover and freeze for 4 to 6 hours or until the ice cream is firm.
Instructions for Using an Ice Cream Maker
- Combine the espresso powder and milk in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high power for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave and whisk in the sweetened condensed milk; set aside.
- Beat the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the sweetened condensed milk mixture into the cream mixture, then fold in the crushed coffee beans.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Some ice cream makers have you freeze the insert overnight before you add the ice cream, while others use rock salt and ice to freeze it.
- When the ice cream is frozen, remove from the ice cream machine and pack into a freezer container. Cover and freeze for 4 hours longer. This process is called "ripening."
Yields 6 cups
Variations and Tips
For best results:
- Make sure that you like the brand of espresso powder you choose, since it is the main flavor in the ice cream.
- Serve this ice cream with some hot coffee poured over it. This is the Italian dessert "affogato," which means "drowned."
- You can also serve this recipe with some hot fudge sauce poured over.
- This ice cream would make a great ice cream pie if you spoon it into a chocolate cookie pie crust.
Enjoy Your Ice Cream
This ice cream is wonderful made with or without an ice cream machine. Enjoy every bite.