Ginger snaps are delicious and easy to make. They fill your house with a wonderful, homey aroma, and they're fantastic with ice cream. Many people associate these cookies with Christmas gingerbread, but feel free to make them any time of year.
How to Make Ginger Snaps
Some ginger snaps recipes call for vinegar to be added to the batter to give the cookies a little more snap. This recipe does not need the added vinegar, but if you come across a recipe that tells you to add vinegar, go for it. It will not affect the flavor of the cookies.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 egg
- 1 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Using your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter with the sugar.
- Once the butter is light and fluffy, add the honey and the egg.
- Beat until well combined.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, ground clove, cinnamon, and ground ginger.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients by thirds.
- Take the dough out of the mixer bowl and knead it until it holds together.
- Shape the dough into a roll and place it on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Roll into a log that is one inch in diameter.
- Place in the refrigerator and let chill overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the dough into slices that are 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Using a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, place the cookie slices at least 2 inches apart.
- Using a paring knife, slice small slits into the surface of the cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Cool the cookies on a rack for 5 minutes before serving.
Gluten-Free Ginger Snaps Recipe
Contributed by By Erin Coleman, R.D., L.D., Registered and Licensed Dietitian
If you love the taste of ginger snaps but need to stick to a gluten-free diet, this recipe is for you.
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cane sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 and 1/4 cups gluten-free chickpea flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a hand mixer, cream together the brown sugar, butter, and 1/2 cup of the cane sugar.
- Mix in the eggs and molasses.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, and spices (cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, cloves and ginger), and mix well.
- Add the chickpea flour and stir until well combined.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls, and coat with the remaining 1/4 cup of cane sugar.
- Place the dough balls on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for about 15 minutes until cookies are set.
- Cool the cookies on a baking sheet and enjoy!
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to one week in room temperature, or one month in the freezer.
Nothing makes your house smell better than baking up a batch of ginger snaps. The next time you begin craving a taste of ginger, whip up a batch and enjoy them with a nice cup of tea.