This fudge is an indulgent little bite of rich chocolate that puts a smile on everybody's heart. When you add a taste of peppermint to your fudge, you get a Christmas confection that disappears as fast as you can make it
Peppermint Christmas Fudge Recipe
You will need a candy thermometer to make this recipe. Candy thermometers are very useful and, once you have one in your kitchen, you may find yourself making fudge, divinity, caramels, and any number of confections. Making candy is easier than it sounds and homemade candy is always an impressive gift.
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ cup of crushed peppermint candy
- Line a 9x13 pan with foil.
- Place the sugar, cream, corn syrup, and cocoa powder into a heavy saucepan.
- Place over a medium flame.
- Stir until the chocolate melts.
- Once the chocolate melts, stir slowly just to keep the chocolate from burning.
- Cook until the fudge reaches 234 degrees, this is the soft ball stage.
- Remove the fudge from the heat and add the butter to the pot.
- Gently stir the butter into the fudge.
- Add the peppermint extract.
- Beat until the fudge is thick, creamy, and no longer glossy.
- Pour into the 9x13 pan.
- Sprinkle with the crushed peppermint candy.
- Let rest until cool.
- Cut into 1-inch squares.
Tips for Using Peppermint Candy
Be sure to sprinkle the crushed peppermint candy over the fudge before the fudge cools. This will help the candy adhere to the fudge, but you may find that using a sheet of parchment paper to gently press the crushed candy into the surface of the fudge is necessary. You might also want to mix an additional ¼ cup of crushed peppermint candy into the fudge itself. If you want to go with this option, mix the additional crushed candy into the fudge when you stir in the peppermint extract.
A Classic Fudge
Peppermint fudge is simply a delight. Once you make a batch, you'll find it difficult to stop eating it, but try to save some for everyone else!