Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
Cream Cheese Frosting RecipesCream cheese frosting is the quintessentially versatile frosting of the baking world. It lends a rich, creamy, and tangy taste to densely baked goods like carrot cake or pumpkin bread. However, by substituting… Keep reading »
A decadent frosting can be the perfect touch for your homemade cakes, cookies, and cupcakes. Explore different recipes to find a frosting that appeals to your tastes and specific baking needs. Once you find a favorite, you will be sure to use it time after time.
Master Basic Frosting Recipes
A luscious frosting recipe will add a sweet taste and decorative flair to your favorite desserts. The first step for a great baker is to master traditional and basic frosting recipes. By reading expert recipes and getting tips on how to make the best frostings, you can become adept at classic recipes and go on to creating your own. Some traditional recipes you may want to have in your arsenal are traditional buttercream, meringue buttercream, rolled fondant, cream cheese frosting, whipped cream frosting, royal icing (decorating icing), ganache, glaze, and seven-minute frosting (cooked frosting). Take some time to master the recipes you like most.
Play With Flavors and Textures
Whether you're a pro or a home chef, playing with different frosting flavors can yield something new and delectable.
Fun With Flavor
Don't be afraid to try different flavors and frosting pairings. You might want to create an elegant themed cake, like a lemon flavor with lemon buttercream and some lemon zest on top for visual appeal. Or, you could take some risks, like topping your traditional chocolate chip cookies with a fun peanut butter frosting. Try something fun like an ice cream frosting, or use unique colors for your decorator icing.
Get Creative With Frosting
You can also change the way a frosting tastes with flavorful mix-ins, such as coconut, dried fruit or nuts, or chocolate pieces or shavings. Frosting is delicious as a dip for cookies or fresh fruit. It can also be spread between sweet crackers to create a sandwich snack or added to an ice cream dessert. Whether it's a chocolate frosting cooked on the stove or a classic rolled fondant, there are many ways you can play with flavors and textures to find something new.
Choosing the Right Frosting Recipe
You put a lot of time and effort into creating the perfect dessert, so choosing and making the right frosting is important. To find what works for your cupcakes, cookies, brownies, cakes, layered desserts and more, consider what you want to get for the final effect. Some ideas you way want to try are:
- Rich and decadent - If you are going for a luscious, decadent dessert, you could combine a richer cake with a heavier frosting.
- Contrasting texture - On the other hand, you may want to pair a heavier dessert with a lighter icing to create a nice sense of balance.
- Light and refreshing - Even if you have a light dessert, like angel food or meringue cookies, if you want your final effect to be something light and refreshing (like for a summer party) keep both the dessert and the frosting choice on the light side.
- Match or contrast the filling - If you have a filled dessert, that's another consideration. You may want to keep the frosting and filling the same, or switch it up to something different for a unique taste.
- Special dietary needs - Another aspect to think about is if there are any special dietary needs. Someone who is diabetic, for example, may need a Splenda frosting.
Top Off Your Desserts With Delicious Frostings
Mastering basic frosting recipes, playing with new textures and flavors, and choosing the right combination of frosting and dessert flavors can go a long way in helping you create the most delicious treats. From cakes to celebrate major milestones like graduations and birthdays to elegant desserts for a special dinner party, there are many ways you can use frosting recipes to top off your beautiful desserts.