Ingredients for French Doughnuts Recipe
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- Powdered sugar
- Several cups of vegetable shortening, enough to half fill a pot
- Preferred icing
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add the beaten egg and stir in the milk.
- Add the nutmeg, salt, flour and baking powder.
- Make a dough stiff enough to be rolled.
- Roll out on floured pastry board to a thickness of about 1/4 inch.
- Cut out with doughnut cutter.
- Fry in vegetable shortening for 4-5 minutes or until golden.
- Set aside and let cool.
- After frying and cooling, cover one side with plain vanilla, mocha or chocolate icing.