Ingredients for Easy Drop Donut Recipe
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups flour (white or unbleached)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Fine granulated sugar and cinnamon (optional)
- Bland cooking oil, like corn oil, enough to cover 3 inches of your frying pan or deep fryer
Safety note: Peanut oil can trigger an allergic reaction in someone allergic to peanuts, so take care if choosing this oil for the donuts.
This recipe makes drop donuts that do not require rolling or cutting out. Take care during the frying process not to spatter yourself with oil because severe burns can result.
- Mix the sugar, milk, egg, and butter.
- Sift flour and mix with baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add the sifted ingredients to the liquids and blend to a dough.
- You can fry these donuts in an electric deep-fat fryer or in a deep pot on the stove.
- Add bland oil with a high smoke point to your fryer or to a deep, heavy pot. Oil should be at least 3 inches deep.
- Heat an electric fryer to between 360 or 375 degrees Fahrenheit or use manufacturer's setting for donuts. If you are frying on the stove top, bring oil to between 360 and 375 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy or frying thermometer.
- Carefully drop rounded spoonfuls of dough into the oil, and fry them until they turn golden brown and float on the top of the oil. If necessary, turn them once to ensure uniform browning.
- Using a slotted spoon or spatula, place the donuts to drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- If desired, cool donuts and roll in powdered sugar or fine granulated sugar and cinnamon mixture. You can also use a paper or plastic bag to shake the donuts gently in the sugar.
- For the best flavor, serve the donuts while they are still slightly warm.