Ingredients for Homemade Banana Pudding Recipe
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons banana liqueur
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- 2 to 3 ripe bananas, depending on how chunky you like your pudding
- Whisk the first four ingredients together in a heat-proof bowl, taking care to break up any lumps, making them as small as possible.
- In a medium-sized, heavy non-stick saucepan, bring the milk to a gentle boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and very slowly pour about 1/3 of the milk into the egg mix, whisking constantly. This will temper the eggs so they don't cook solid.
- When the outside of the bowl feels warm when touched, whisk the rest of the milk into the mix.
- Quickly wash out the saucepan, and pour the entire pudding mix back into it.
- Add the banana liqueur and whisk constantly over medium-low heat for three to four minutes until the pudding is nice and thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and slowly whisk in the vanilla and butter.
- Pour the pudding into a large bowl, and lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on the pudding's surface.
- Refrigerate for at least three hours to chill completely.
- Cut the bananas into small chunks, reserving 6 individual slices for garnish, and gently stir the chunks into the chilled pudding.
- Spoon the pudding into six serving cups, top with one slice of banana and a sprinkling of cinnamon, if you like, and serve immediately.
© 2006-2018 LoveToKnow, Corp., except where otherwise noted. All Rights Reserved.