Ingredients for Mississippi Mud Pie
Serves 6 to 8
- 9 chocolate graham crackers
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 ounces unsweetened dark chocolate, cut into pieces or shaved
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup (light or dark)
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee, espresso, or coffee-flavored liqueur, such as Kahlua
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a chopping blade, pulse the pecans and graham crackers until they are finely crumbled, 10 to 15 one-second pulses.
- Pulse in the melted butter for five one-second pulses.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the crust sets, about 10 minutes.
- Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
- While the crust cools, in a large saucepan on medium heat, melt the butter and chocolate, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the flour, sugar, and salt until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the corn syrup, coffee or liqueur, and vanilla extract, mixing until smooth.
- Working one at a time, add the eggs, stirring after each egg until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour in the prepared pie crust and bake until the filling sets, about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a rack for 2 hours.
- Top with the whipped cream and the chocolate shavings, if desired.
Mississippi mud pie makes a delicious and rich dessert that's perfect for a simple family meal or for a dinner party with guests. When served with a cup of coffee or an after-dinner Port, it's the perfect end to a meal.
© 2021 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.