Ingredients for Cream Layer Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 recipe cream filling and frosting, below
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare two 8" round cake pans by greasing and flouring them or spraying them with cooking spray. Place a parchment round in the bottom of each baking pan.
- Cream the butter with the sugar in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in the sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour together with the salt and baking powder.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, and beat thoroughly. Stir in the milk and beat again. Repeat with the remaining half of the dry ingredients.
- Divide the batter between the two pans. Bake the cakes for 30 minutes or until they pass the toothpick test.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then unmold them onto a wire rack to cool completely before filling and frosting.
Cream Filling and Frosting
- 2 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Warm 3/4 cup of the heavy whipping cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Take the pan off the heat before the cream reaches a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sugar with the egg and flour until the mixture is frothy.
- Keep whisking the egg mixture while you stir in the warm cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Put the cream mixture back into the saucepan and warm it over medium-high heat on the stove. Whisk occasionally until the cream reaches a healthy simmer. At that point, keep whisking until the pastry cream has considerably thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Take the cream off the heat, whisk in the vanilla, and let it cool at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Then transfer the cream to a bowl, press a layer of plastic wrap against the top, and let it chill for at least four hours or overnight.
- When the cream has chilled, use it to fill the layer cake.
- Whip the remaining 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream until it reaches stiff peaks. Frost the sides and top of the cake with the whipping cream.
© 2021 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.