- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a 9-inch round cake pan or a Bundt pan by coating it with cooking spray. If using a round pan, place a circle of parchment paper on the bottom.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl or double boiler, and add the salt. Set the bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Beat the eggs with an electric mixer until they are fluffy and light, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the boiling water and beat again immediately until the water is fully incorporated.
- Add the sugar 1/4 cup at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. After the final addition, the batter should be thick and pale. Turn off the heat and transfer the bowl to a flat surface.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder together in a small bowl. Stir in the walnuts.
- Beat the vanilla extract into the egg mixture. Gently fold in the flour mixture in three additions with a spatula, working the batter only until it's uniformly moistened.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake for 30 to 40 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
- After removing the cake from the oven, turn it upside down on a rack to cool in the pan.
- When the cake has reached room temperature, slide a knife around its edge and remove it from the pan before serving.
© 2022 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.