Ingredients for Chocolate Cream Cake Recipe
Yield: One 3 layer cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teapsoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1 recipe filling, as follows
- 1 recipe frosting, as follows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut parchment paper circles to fit three 8" round cake pans. Spray the pans with cooking spray and set the parchment circles on the bottoms.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl with a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Return to the butter mixture. Cream it once again, gradually adding the water and the flour mixture until they are both fully incorporated.
- Beat in the vanilla and egg whites.
- Distribute the batter evenly among the cake pans. Tap them once on the counter to remove air bubbles, and bake the cakes for 25 to 30 minutes or until they pass the toothpick test.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove them from the pans and let them cool completely before filling and frosting.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Whip the heavy cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time, while continuing to whip.
- When the cream holds stiff peaks, store it in the refrigerator until you're prepared to fill and frost the cake.
- To fill the cake, spoon a generous scoop of whipped cream between each layer. Spread the cream with a spatula. Repeat with a layer of cream on top of the cake. Before assembling the cake, pour chocolate ganache frosting (below) over each layer.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting Recipe
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2-4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Melt the chocolate and heavy cream in a double boiler until smooth and uniform.
- Refrigerate the ganache or leave it at room temperature until it is cool but still pourable. Drizzle ganache over each layer of cream and assemble the cake before serving.