Your dinner (and appetizer) options are endless when you have shredded chicken on hand. Whether you're in the mood to use your slow cooker, stove top or Instant Pot, you can make great chicken for shredding. Change up your seasonings regularly so you can eat shredded chicken often, without taste bud burnout setting in.
Basic Shredded Chicken Recipe
Use this basic shredded chicken recipe to prepare your chicken, regardless of which cooking method you choose. Your instructions for the shredded chicken recipe depends on the cooking method you choose.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Place chicken breasts in a slow cooker.
- Top with oil, seasonings, and broth.
- Cook in slow cooker on low heat for 6 to 8 hours (or on high heat for 3 to 4 hours).
- Shred chicken using two forks.
Stove Top Instructions
- Place chicken breasts in a large saucepan, and add water until chicken is covered.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, and simmer about 12 minutes (until chicken is no longer pink).
- Place chicken in a bowl to let it cool, and toss out remaining water.
- Shred chicken with a fork, and place it back in your large sauce pan.
- Add broth until moist, oil and seasonings.
- Heat over medium heat until shredded chicken mixture is heated throughout.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Place chicken in your Instant Pot, and season both sides of the chicken with seasonings above (or those of your choice).
- Pour in chicken broth.
- Seal your Instant Pot.
- Press the poultry button on your pot, and let chicken pressure cook on high for about 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot to cool, shred it, and serve!
How to Shred Chicken
Shredding chicken is fairly simple, and requires just cooked chicken and two forks.
- Slice your chicken on a cutting board.
- Use two forks to shred it into stringy strips.
- Put the fork tines across from each other in the strips and pull gently to shred chicken.
- Continue shredding until you finish.
You can also use an electric mixer (use the low setting for about 2 to 3 minutes) to shred chicken.
Shredded Chicken Seasonings
Use the following shredded seasonings when you want to veer away from traditional flavors. To use one of these seasonings following the methods above, simply swap them out for the seasonings in the ingredients list above and continue with the instructions.
Shredded Chicken Taco Seasoning
Change things up a bit when you're in the mood for Mexican food.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Spicy Shredded Chicken Seasoning
If you want spicy, this seasoning recipe won't let you down.
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
Smoky Shredded Chicken Seasoning
Try this shredded chicken seasoning blend when you're in the mood for a smoky flavor.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
Other Chicken Seasoning Options
You have tons of options when it comes to seasonings for shredded chicken. Try chicken rub recipes such as barbeque chicken rub, garlic and herb rub, or Mediterranean rub. Other shredded chicken seasoning options include nutmeg with sage, savory seasonings, and herbal chicken blends.
Choosing Shredded Chicken
You can't go wrong when choosing shredded chicken for your next meal or party appetizer. Use it in soups, salads, sandwiches, casseroles, quesadillas, tacos and omelets -- or simply eat it plain. Changing up your seasonings means you can enjoy shredded chicken several days each week without feeling bored!