This recipe serves 4 to 6 people, depending on serving size.
- 6 boneless chicken thighs, skin removed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 6 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Frying and Finishing Ingredients
- Peanut or vegetable oil for frying the chicken
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions, washed
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, and 1/2 teaspoon orange juice until combined.
- Pat the chicken pieces between two paper towels to remove the excess moisture.
- Stir the chicken pieces into the cornstarch mixture and set aside.
Orange Sauce Preparation
- Combine 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup water, whisk to create a slurry, and then set aside.
- Combine the remaining sauce ingredients in a non-stick, medium-size frying pan and stir well. Heat on medium-high and stir frequently with a wooden spoon to keep the mixture from sticking.
- When the sauce mixture just begins to thicken, reduce the heat to medium.
- Stir the slurry and then add 2 tablespoons of it to the sauce mix and stir well. Continue heating, stirring occasionally, and let the sauce thicken for about 1 minute. Turn off the heat.
- Discard the remaining slurry mixture that was not added to the sauce.
Frying and Finishing Directions
- In a large frying pan, heat about 1 inch of oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a slotted spoon, stir the chicken and cornstarch mixture one last time. Scoop the chicken out of the bowl, allowing the excess moisture to drain a bit, and place the pieces in the hot oil. Fry for about 2 minutes on each side until the pieces are golden brown.
- Transfer the chicken from the frying pan to a bowl lined with paper towels and let the oil drain off for about 1 minute.
- While the chicken is draining, heat the pan with the orange sauce mixture on medium low and stir slowly. Add the chicken and stir gently until all the pieces are coated with sauce.
- Transfer the orange chicken to a serving platter, sprinkle the green onions on top, and serve with fried rice, lo mein, or steamed broccoli.
© 2022 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.