Ingredients for Chicken Pastel Recipe
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds of chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons condensed milk
- 1 370 milliliter can of evaporated milk
- 3 large pieces of Vienna sausages (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 3/4 cup sliced carrots
- 1 large potato, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup of fresh sliced mushrooms
- Cook chicken, onion, and garlic with vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat until chicken is brown on all sides.
- Add salt, pepper and broth, and bring mixture to a boil.
- Add condensed milk and evaporated milk.
- Simmer over medium heat until mixture thickens (about 20 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, and potatoes.
- Cover mixture, and simmer until vegetables are tender (about 15 minutes).
- Stir in sausage, place in serving dish, and enjoy!
Servings: 6 to 8
Serving Ideas and Variations
Some bakers and recipes include a pastry crust for this Filipino dish. If you want to add a crust, add the mixture to a 9 x 13 baking dish topped with store-bought pastry crust. Brush the crust with a beaten egg mixed with 1 tablespoon of milk, and bake for about 45 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until crust is golden brown.
Other variations and suggestions include:
- Serve over a bed of rice or with dinner rolls.
- Replace mushrooms with peas.
- Replace sausage with one (8-ounce) can of pineapple chunks.
- Add 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese (stir in when adding the sausage).
- Replace chicken with tofu for a vegetarian option.
- Replace regular onions with green onions.
- Garnish the recipe with parsley.
- Add extra pepper once plated.