Ingredients for Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- 1 pound of chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 red jalapeno and 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced (optional - for garnish)
The trick for making the wings is to bake them partially first and then brush with the sauce towards the end of cooking to give them a saucy, sticky texture without burning the sauce.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Trim the top half of the wingette from the drumettes. Trim the small wing tips from the wingettes and discard or save in the freezer to make stock.
- Place the drumettes and wingettes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- While the wings bake, in a small bowl, whisk together the honey, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger.
- After 45 minutes, brush half of the mixture on the partially cooked chicken wings. Return them to the oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, brush the remaining sauce over the wings. Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds. Return to the oven and bake 5 to 10 minutes more until the wings are well cooked and juices run clear.
- Serve garnished with the thinly sliced jalapeno, if desired.
This recipe yields 1 pound of chicken wings, which is about seven or eight wings or two to four servings depending on whether you are serving appetizer portions or meal sized portions.
Try one of these delicious variations to create your own version:
- Replace the honey with an equal amount of pure maple syrup and replace the grated ginger root with 1 teaspoon of freshly grated orange zest. Replace the sesame oil with 1/2 teaspoon of fish sauce. Omit the garnish or garnish with 1 tablespoon of chopped, fresh tarragon.
- Replace the ginger root with chopped fresh cumin and the sesame oil with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of freshly grated lime zest. Omit the sesame seeds. Garnish with the jalapeno, a thinly chopped scallion, and 1 tablespoon of chopped, fresh cilantro.
- Replace the honey with an equal amount of molasses. Replace the sesame oil with 1/2 teaspoon of chili oil. Omit the sesame seeds and garnish with a thinly sliced scallion.