Ingredients for Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (plus additional for the chicken)
- 10 shallots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 whole chicken thighs
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 10 fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, toss the shallots with the olive oil and the 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt. Arrange them in a large baking pan.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Put the seasoned thighs over the top of the shallots, skin side up.
- Spread the thyme sprigs over the top of the chicken.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit, about an hour.
Serves about 6
Serving Suggestions and Variations
This is a great basic recipe. You can vary as follows:
- Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies for a complete meal.
- Zest a lemon or an orange and sprinkle over the chicken thighs with the salt.
- Replace the thyme sprigs with tarragon.
- Add whole cloves of garlic with the shallots and allow them to roast with the chicken.
- Add one pound of quartered baby potatoes or other root vegetables such as carrots or turnips with or in place of the shallots for a one-pan meal.
- Add 1/2 pound of fresh figs, halved lengthwise, to the shallots.
- If you like really crispy skin, brown the chicken thighs, skin-side down, on the stove-top on medium-high in a large skillet with two tablespoons of olive oil before transferring to the baking pan, skin-side up. Browning should take five to seven minutes.
© 2006-2021 LoveToKnow, Corp., except where otherwise noted. All Rights Reserved.