Ingredients for Caramel Pudding Recipe
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Combine the whole milk and light cream in a large saucepan.
- Heat over medium high heat until small bubbles form around the edge of the pan.
- Meanwhile, combine the eggs and egg yolk in a medium bowl and beat well with a wire whisk.
- Beat the brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, and cornstarch into the egg mixture until combined.
- Slowly whisk 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture.
- Strain the egg mixture through a fine sieve into the remaining milk in the saucepan.
- Cook this mixture, stirring frequently with a wire whisk, until the pudding starts to thicken.
- The pudding is cooked when you can take a wooden spoon, dip it into the pudding mixture, let it cool for up to 2 minutes, and then carefully run your finger along the back of the spoon. When your finger leaves a trail through the pudding, it's done.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla and butter.
- Let the pudding cool, stirring every 15 minutes with a wire whisk, for one hour.
- Then put the pudding into one large serving dish or into individual dishes.
- Cover and refrigerate for a few hours until set.
Variations and Tips
- For a richer brown sugar flavor, use all brown sugar and omit the granulated sugar.
- Serve this pudding drizzled with some caramel sauce or hot fudge sauce for a decadent treat.
- This pudding makes a wonderful pie filling. When it's cool, pour it into a graham cracker crust or baked and cooled pie crust. Top with whipped cream.
© 2006-2021 LoveToKnow, Corp., except where otherwise noted. All Rights Reserved.