Salmon makes a great appetizer ingredient, and when you include it as part of a canapé, it has the added benefit of being an easy to manage and flavorful finger food. You can use many types of salmon in your canapés, ranging from cured forms, such as lox or smoked salmon, to salmon terrines and pates.
Salmon Canapé Recipes
While salmon can be a little bit expensive, in a canapé, a little goes a long way and you still get a nice salmon flavor.
Smoked Salmon with Lemon Dill Butter Canapés
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- Zest from 1/2 a lemon
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 baguette, cut into thin slices and toasted
- 5 ounces smoked salmon, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup créme fraîche
- Several cherry tomatoes, halved for garnish
- Combine butter, lemon zest, and dill in a small bowl. Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- Spread lemon dill butter thinly on baguette rounds.
- Top with a small piece of smoked salmon.
- Add small dollop of créme fraîche to the top of the salmon and garnish with a half of a cherry tomato.
Lox Canapés on Pumpernickel
- 1 loaf of cocktail pumpernickel bread, sliced thin and toasted
- 14 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 jar of capers, drained
- Several spring onions, trimmed and halved
- Several small sprigs of dill
- Spread cream cheese on bread.
- Top each with one or two slices of lox.
- Sprinkle capers over the top.
- Garnish with a spring onion and a dill sprig.
Salmon Salad and Cucumber Canapés
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced in 1/4" slices
- 14 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces of canned salmon, drained, rinsed, and picked over for bones
- 1 stalk of celery, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Several chives, chopped
- Lemon wedges
- Spread cream cheese in a thin layer on cucumber slices.
- In a bowl, combine salmon, celery, shallot, paprika, and mayonnaise. Stir well to combine.
- Scoop by teaspoonful on cucumber slices.
- Garnish with chopped chives and serve on a platter with lemon wedges.
Consider the following when serving salmon canapés:
- Fresh and canned salmon is perishable, so it may be best to place the platter on ice while serving.
- Smoked salmon and lox are both quite salty, so no added salt is necessary. Be sure to use unsalted butter, as well, when you work with these ingredients.
- Canned salmon is an affordable alternative to fresh salmon.
- If you use canned salmon, be sure to pick it over for bones before using.
- Flavors that work well with salmon include lemon, chives, dill, fennel, and tarragon. Try different herbed butters to change the flavor of the basic canapés.
Healthy and Elegant
Salmon is a very healthy fish, because it contains beneficial omega-3 fatty acids. It is also quite popular, making it an elegant addition to any party.