Ingredients for Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, sliced, and cut in halves
Cake Batter Ingredients
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with butter spray or nonstick spray.
- Mix the topping ingredients (melted butter and brown sugar) until well combined and add the mixture to the prepared pan.
- Arrange pineapple within the topping in cake pan (pineapple should be placed close together).
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and cardamom; set aside.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer in a medium-sized bowl and gradually add the granulated sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the vanilla and rum.
- Slowly beat in half of the flour mixture.
- Beat in the pineapple juice.
- Continue beating in the remaining flour mixture until it is well combined and blended.
- Spoon the batter over pineapple topping mixture in cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 40 minutes (or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean).
- Let the cake cool. Run a butter knife around the edge to loosen edges and flip it upside down onto a serving platter.
Servings: 6 to 8
Optional Garnishments and Variations
- Add stemless maraschino cherries to the pineapple topping.
- Use a 20-ounce can of pineapple rings in juice, in place of fresh pineapple chunks.
- Top cake with additional rum (1 to 2 tablespoons) right after baking it.
- Use 1/4 cup of sour cream in place of rum.
- Top cake with whipped cream or ice cream after it cools.