- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
How to Make the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch cake pan or two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, vegetable oil, and applesauce.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared cake pans. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 to 45 minutes for the 9x13 inch pan or 25 to 35 minutes for the round pans.
- Cool on a wire rack. Frost with the suggested recipe below when cooled, or try frosting it with cream cheese frosting for a tangier icing.
How to Make the Frosting
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter.
- Stir in the brown sugar and bring it to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute.
- Allow the butter and brown sugar mixture to sit for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the milk on a saucepan or in the microwave.
- Whisk the milk into the slightly cooled brown sugar/butter mixture.
- Stir in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until the frosting reaches the right consistency.
- Spread on the cooled cake.
© 2022 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.