Ingredients for Cassava Cake Recipe
- 2 (16 ounce) packages, or 4 cups, grated cassava
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" x 13" pan with nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the grated cassava, 1 cup of the sweetened condensed milk, the coconut milk, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, eggs, egg yolk, salt, and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 55 to 65 minutes or until it is set and the top is very lightly browned.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a wire rack.
- To make the topping, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, light cream, remaining sweetened condensed milk, and cream cheese in a medium saucepan.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until the mixture is smooth and starts to thicken.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the cake. Sprinkle with the coconut.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Broil the cake for 3 to 6 minutes, watching carefully and turning the cake occasionally, until the topping is browned.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares to serve.
Serves 12 to 16
Tips and Variations
- This cake recipe is popular in the Philippines. Cassava is a woody shrub. Its root is peeled and grated for use in this cake.
- You can use light cream in place of the sweetened condensed milk if you'd like, or use all coconut milk.
- Some recipes for Cassava cake, known as Bánh khoai mì, call for using shredded Cheddar cheese in the topping, which makes the topping orange. You can substitute 1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or Colby cheese for the cream cheese in this recipe. If you choose this variation, omit the shredded coconut on top.
- Frozen grated cassava is available at many large grocery stores, or you can order it online.
- This cake is delicious after an Asian or Philippine meal, or you can serve it as a snack with coffee or tea.
© 2021 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.