Cake is a mouthwatering dessert by itself but when you add filling, it makes it even more special. Fruit fillings in particular have a special affinity for cake. Most aren't difficult to make but can take your cake to a new level of deliciousness.
Fruit Filling Recipes
Each of the following recipes can be used as a filling in a layer cake. They work well with an array of cake and icing flavors, so you can be creative in your baking creations.
Lemon curd is a classic cake filling. It works well with white and lemon cakes and frostings. It's also delicious in a coconut layer cake. This version is intensely lemony. While you can use any types of lemons you like, Meyer lemons are particularly delicious.
- 1 large egg plus 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Finely grated zest from 2 lemons
- Dash salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into two or three pieces
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Whisk together egg yolks and whole egg until well combined.
- Add sugar and whisk to combine.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Pour mixture into small saucepan and add butter.
- Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until mixture thickens, about five minutes. The temperature should be 170 degrees.
- Strain the lemon mixture into a medium bowl. Stir in cream.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Use cooled curd in cake.
Raspberry Cake Filling
Raspberry cake filling is equally delicious in chocolate and white cakes. It also makes an interesting filling for a lemon cake.
- 1-1/2 cups raspberries, fresh or thawed from frozen
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Place raspberries and sugar in a small saucepan and stir to combine.
- Whisk cornstarch into lemon juice. Add to raspberry mixture.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Cool completely before using in a cake.
- 2 Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Put apples all ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until apples are completely cooked and tender.
- Allow to cool completely before spreading on cake.
More Flavorful Cakes
If you've never used a fruit filling in your cake before, give it a try. The fillings add flavor to the cake, while also making it moister. Once you've filled a cake with a delicious and easy to make filling, you'll wonder why you never did it before.