This delicious muffin recipe contains heart-healthy oatmeal and blueberries, but the real reason these muffins are truly tasty is because they're stuffed with a mouth-watering cream cheese filling. You'll be begging for seconds after tasting this melt-in-your-mouth irresistible treat.
Servings: 12 muffins
- 1 1/4 cups of flour
- 1 1/4 cups of uncooked oatmeal
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 ounces plain cream cheese
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons oatmeal
- Beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar in large bowl until smooth to make the filling; chill mixture in refrigerator.
- Combine milk, egg, almond extract, and oil in another bowl.
- Mix flour, oats, 1/3 cup sugar, salt, and baking powder in separate bowl.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until moist.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Fill greased muffin cups 1/3 full with batter.
- Place 1 tablespoon of cream cheese filling in each muffin cup.
- Top muffin cups with remaining batter.
- Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and 3 tablespoons oatmeal to make the topping.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture on muffins.
- Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
You can make ingredient substitutions to this recipe to change things up while maintaining the same irresistible gourmet taste.
- Replace cream cheese filling with blueberry or strawberry jam.
- Try fresh apples (chopped) in place of blueberries; add 2 teaspoons of cinnamon to cream cheese filling and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon to topping.
- Substitute fresh cherries, pitted and halved, for blueberries.
- Try raspberries in place of blueberries.
- Use vanilla in place of almond extract.
- In place of the sugar topping, try a sweet almond crumb topping. Combine 2/3 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of sliced and chopped almonds, 1/4 cup of coconut oil, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Completing a few extra steps when making muffins takes plain blueberry muffins to the next level -- the gourmet muffins category. Using a few variations to change things up a bit means you can enjoy a variety of truly tasty muffins each day of the week.