Ingredients for Boiled Artichoke Recipe
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 to 6 whole artichokes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and add the lemon juice.
- Rinse the artichokes under cool running water.
- Pull off and discard the outer discolored leaves.
- Cut the end off the stem and peel the stem.
- Using kitchen shears, cut off the sharp tip of all the leaves.
- As you finish trimming each artichoke, drop it into the lemon water.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the salt.
- Add the artichokes to the boiling water and let the water return to a boil. Boil for 20 to 30 minutes or until you can easily pull a leaf off one of the artichokes.
- Remove them from the water and drain. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve cold.
Serves 4 to 6
Variations and Tips
- To eat an artichoke, remove each leaf and scrape the meaty part between your teeth to remove the flesh.
- Artichokes are typically served with melted butter.
- You can also serve them with hollandaise sauce, mayonnaise, or lemon juice.
- It's easier to remove the choke after cooking. Open the artichoke, pull out the little green leaves, and scrape off the choke, which looks like fuzz, using a spoon.
- The artichoke heart is considered the best part of this vegetable. Once all the leaves are removed, you will see a green disc attached to the stem. Make sure all of the choke is removed, then cut the heart into pieces and dip it into the sauce.
© 2006-2021 LoveToKnow, Corp., except where otherwise noted. All Rights Reserved.