Not only is coleslaw an easy and expected side dish for a barbecue, but when you serve the best coleslaw, it enhances every entrée.
It's Not Just a Good Idea, It's the Slaw
The eating of coleslaw or some other variation of shredded cabbage salad can be dated back to the Roman Empire. "Cole" is based on the Latin "Colis" which means cabbage.
If you are having a large party, coleslaw is a great idea as a side dish. It's easy to make, stores well in the fridge, and actually tastes better the day after it was made because the slaw has a chance to mingle all its flavors. At the Cordon Bleu, we learned to make the best coleslaw this way. Here I have halved the recipe. This feeds about 15 people.
- 1 pound 10 ounces green cabbage, julienne
- 1/2 pound red cabbage, julienne
- 2.5 ounces carrots, julienne
- 2.5 ounces yellow peppers, julienne
- 2.5 ounces red onions, julienne
For the dressing, you will need
- 1.5 ounces sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 5 ounces mayonnaise
- 5 ounces sour cream
- 2.5 ounces cider vinegar
- 1/2 ounce horseradish
- 1/4 ounce brown mustard
- Salt to taste
- Ground pepper to taste
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste
- Mix the cabbage, carrots, peppers, and onions in a large bowl.
- Mix the sugar, mustard, and celery seed until there are no lumps.
- Add the rest of the dressing ingredients,
- Fold the cabbage mix into the dressing.
I Sought the Slaw and the Slaw Won
Another basic coleslaw recipe and the best coleslaw recipe I have for smaller groups is this basic coleslaw:
- 10 cups green cabbage, julienne (about one medium head)
- 2 red peppers, julienne
- 2 carrots, julienne
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the vinegar, sugar, and oregano in a large bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl.
- Mix until completely combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
The Best Coleslaw Recipe
You can make your coleslaw with mayonnaise or without. You can add raisins or dried cranberries or just about anything else that you like. Coleslaw is a great base for your imagination and the best coleslaw recipe is the one that tastes best to you.