Ingredients for Beef Pepper Steak Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds sirloin steak, slightly frozen (for easier slicing)
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, smashed, peeled and chopped in half
- 1 (14-ounce) can baby corn, drained
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice slightly frozen steak into 1/4 inch wide strips.
- Mix soy sauce and beef broth in a bowl, mixing well.
- Mix the cornstarch and water in a separate bowl or mixing cup.
- Brown the steak in oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, bell peppers, and onion to the skillet; stir. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until onions and peppers start to soften slightly.
- Lower heat to medium and stir in mushrooms and corn. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the soy sauce mixture, the sugar, and salt and pepper to taste; add the stewed tomatoes and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until meat is tender and vegetables are at desired doneness.
- Uncover and bring back to a boil before stirring in the cornstarch mixture.
- Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.