- 4 onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cups dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 baguette, sliced and toasted
- Vegan cheese (ingredients below)
Vegan Cheese Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 4 to 8 hours (then drained)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- In a large pot, cook onions in olive oil over medium heat for 30 minutes (stirring occasionally).
- Add the garlic and change the heat setting to medium.
- Add the wine, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer the mixture on medium-low heat for 15 minutes until wine evaporates.
- Add the flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, soy sauce, and vinegar and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the vegan cheese by blending all cheese ingredients in a food processor for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth. Heat the mixture in saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes, whisking continuously. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Remove the soup from heat and take out the bay leaves.
- Heat your broiler to a high setting.
- Toast the baguette slices.
- Divide the soup among four to eight oven-safe crocks or bowls.
- Spread the vegan cheese over the baguette slices and set on top of each soup bowl.
- Spray the cheese tops with olive oil.
- Broil the soup bowls until cheese browns (about 2 to 3 minutes), and serve.
Servings: 4 to 8
Optional Add-Ons and Substitutions
Consider the following garnishes and substitutions.
- Garnish each bowl with thyme sprigs.
- Use tapioca starch in place of arrowroot powder.
- Try store-bought vegan cheese to reduce prep time, if desired.
- Use tamari in place of soy sauce.
- Try coconut oil in place of olive oil.
- Use nutritional yeast in place of miso paste.
- Try water in place of plant-based milk.
- Use croutons instead of baguette slices.