Ingredients for Basic Croquettes Recipe
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 3 cups cooked, finely chopped meat or potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Warm a skillet over medium-high heat on the stove, and pour in the olive oil. Add the diced onions. Sauté until translucent and beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Empty the sautéed onions into a large bowl. Add the meat or potatoes, bread crumbs, eggs, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir the mixture well until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Form small patties of the mixture with your hands and lay each finished patty on a baking sheet or a sheet of waxed paper.
- Reheat the skillet and add more oil if necessary. Gently transfer the patties to the skillet and cook until they are golden brown, flipping as many times as necessary.
Tips and Tricks
- Season croquettes with additional fresh herbs, more salt and papper, chili powder, or any other spice to taste when you combine all of the ingredients.
- For vegetarian croquettes, you may use shredded zucchini, carrots, yams, celery, or any other starchy vegetable as an alternative to potatoes.
- If the croquette mixture seems too wet, mix in a small amount of flour or more bread crumbs. You can also try coating your hands with flour before forming patties.
- To help the croquettes keep their shape, refrigerate or freeze them on a baking sheet coated with waxed paper for 20 to 30 minutes before frying.
© 2021 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.